As a royalty-free alternative to H.264 standard, WebM has become popular in the years. You can easily access WebM videos from YouTube, Reddit, 4chan and the like. But here’s the thing: those people who want to view WebM on iPad/iPhone always meet issues. Anyway, I also received no luck playing WebM on iPhone/iPad directly. In the very end, I astonishedly found possible solutions to get WebM files playable on iPad, iPhone. You can read on to find something you want.
Solution 1: Install a third-party app PlayerXtreme HD
As far as know, Apple’s QuickTime player codec doesn’t support WebM. That means no WebM videos in Safari, no WebM videos in Chrome (which uses the same WebKit-based rendering engine on iOS), no WebM videos in any third-party browser or any app integrating a web view. Well, don’t worry. There’s a third-party app to save you from your troubles.
As long as you know the URL of your WebM video, you can open it in or download it in PentaLoop’s free PlayerXtreme HD. It reminds me a lot of VLC for an iOS device: The app claims to be able to play a veritable cornucopia of different video formats, including .mkv, .vob, .wmv, and yes- WebM.
I didn’t thoroughly test the PlayerXtreme HD’s competency in all of these formats, but it certainly played .webm videos back with little trouble. All you have to do is follow these steps:
1. Find the WebM video you want to view and open its URL in a new tab.
2. Tap the “Open In” link in the Safari window.
3. Select Open in PlayerXtreme.
4. Enjoy your WebM video!
Solution 2: Install a third-party app Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac
If you the third-party video player can’t enable you to play all WebM files due to the video resolution, frame rate, bitrate, etc. Here is an alternative solution for you. Since iPad, iPhone can fully support MP4 video, why not find a WebM converter to convert WebM to MP4 for playing on iPad, iPhone easily.
Well, Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac has come up with a solution for the conversion task. This WebM video converter is able to convert your favorite WebM video into MP4 format on Mac(El Capitan included) for easier playback on your iPad, iPhone and other media devices without damaging the original quality. And here comes the best part, it not only transforms WebM to MP4 format, but also can convert WebM to AVI, MOV, FLV, WMV, MPG, 3GP, etc format to meet your different needs. With its built-in editor, you can trim, crop, add effects, insert subtitles as well as merge a pile of videos into one file. For those who are running on Windows, you can turn to Video Converter.
1. Install and launch the Mac WebM to MP4 converter program, then click Add to import the WebM video files for converting.
2. Click Format bar and choose MP4 as output format. From the drop-down list of “Format” > “Common Video”, you can select H.264 MP4, MPEG-4 as the output format. Of course, you can directly choose a decent profile like “iPad > iPad HD Video (*.mp4)” from iPad profile list.
3. When all settings are done, click the big Convert button to start converting WebM video to MP4 for iPad/iPhone. When the conversion completes, click Open button to locate the output video. And now all is done. Just enjoy your movies!